Houdini, A Semi-Jailbreak App: The world of jailbreaking has seen a slight dip in activity in recent times. Going around iOS without serious repercussions is getting more and more difficult and lesser number of people are willing to take the risk. But developers are working round the clock and behind the scenes to give you something better and safer. Now you can enjoy jailbreak tweaks without fully jailbreaking your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Houdini is an app best classified as a “Semi Jailbreak” as it is not a full jailbreak and only allows a few jailbreak tweaks (will not install Cydia Installer on your idevice). The app, Houdini, has been developed by the same developer that developed Saigon, Abraham Masri.
Unlike a complete jailbreak tool, Houdini only utilizes triple_fetch exploit to escape the sandbox and inject the payload into your iDevice. It does not allow you to play with your iDevice the way you would want to, it comes loaded with several packages that you can install to change how your iDevice looks. By downloading and installing Houdini you can:
- Customize User Interface (hide labels, Badges, icons etc.)
- Change the basic theme of your iDevice by applying themes.
- Change resolution
- Change the look and feel of the Control Centre on your iDevice.
The main advantages of Houdini over a full jailbreaking tool are that the changes you make stay even after a reboot and as Houdini does not require an Anemone engine, it consumes much less battery.
Houdini is easy and free to download though Cydia Impactor which is also free for download on your PC or Mac. You can run it with or without jailbreak, even if you are using Yalo102, mach_portal, extra_recipe or Saigon.
Following iDevices and Firmware is compatible with Houdini:
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPad Air
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Pro
- iPad mini 2
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Touch 6
To Download and Install Houdini “Semi Jailbreak” on your iPhone, iPad or iPad touch follow the instructions below:
- A Compatible iDevice running on a compatible firmware version.
- A PC or Mac with Cydia Impactor already installed.
- Installation process:
- On your PC or Mac open a bowser and download the Houdini IPA file from the link below-
IPA file (official).
- On your PC launch Cydia Impactor on your, to push the Houdini App onto your iDevice.
- Drag the Houdini IPA file onto the Cydia Impactor’s window to being installation process.
- You will be prompted to enter your Apple ID username and Password to authenticate the installation. In case you don’t have an Apple ID or don’t want to use the one you have, you can make an alternate one and use it.
- The app should begin to install.
- Once the installation is complete, you should be able to see the Houdini app icon on your home screen on your iDevice. You have to verify the app’s profile before you can begin to use it
- To verify its profile, go to “Settings” on your iDevice, then select General, and go to “Profile” or “Profile & Device Management”. Now “Trust” the profile associated with your email ID.
- Injecting Exploits:
- After “trusting” the app’s profile, return to the home screen and open the Houdini app.
- Tap on the “Start” button on the bottom centre of the screen. The app should start exploiting and escaping sandbox now. This process may take a few mins.
- Due to the instability of this exploit, it might fail a couple of times, in that case don’t worry, just hold the power button and the home button together for 6-7 seconds to reboot. After reboot, try again.
- Once the exploiting is complete, you will be directed to the app’s home page.
- Using Houdini: The app is clutter free and easy to use. The home page is clean and easy to navigate It cleanly displays the device model, firmware version, number of applications installed on the iDevice and the space left on your device. At the bottom is the page there are three buttons- Home, Sources and packages.
- Sources- At the time of writing this article the source tab only has one source, ModMyi. ModMyi Cydia repo contains many themes but not all are compatible with Houdini, so exercise caution while installing a theme, an impcompatible theme might make your GUI go haywire.
- Packages: The packages tab lets you navigate through various themes and utilities that can be installed on your iDevice.
- Themes: Simply tap on the desired theme and install it. To remove a theme that you are using just tap on the three dots at the top right corner and remove the theme.
- Utilities: This section allows you to perform other jailbreak similar functions like change the screen resolution, hide labes, edit Siri suggestions, modify 3D Touch, etc.
- .deb files: You can download and install .deb files by using their URL by tapping the three dots on the top right corner. this feature is a boon for those who want to develop custom tweakDebiandebian packages and test out on your device.
- Remove the Houdini app after installation: In case you want to delete the app just follow the steps given below:
- Just remove any jailbreak theme you are using. Upen the packages tab and tap the ‘three dots’ at the top right corner and remove the theme you are using.
- Delete the Houdini application from the home screen of your iDevice.
- Delete the developers profile. Go to your device’s Settings and tap on General and select ‘Profiles’ or ‘Profile & Device Management’ tab and then delete the profile.